Thursday, November 19, 2015

Watch Out for This Virus Warning Scam!

Well, hi there! How the heck are you? I see by the coffee mug in your hand that you are ready for a mugful of brown nectar. Can I tempt you with a virtual treat as well? They are calorie, bacteria and virus free...which is more than I can say about my computer! For the past few days I have being doing battle with some malicious virus that has slowed me down to the pace of molasses going uphill in January...and that is really slow. 

For a few days until yesterday, everything was moving at a snail's pace. What normally took two minutes was taking me 20. Unbelievable! Kaspsersky couldn't catch it. I downloaded two additional free trojan seek and destroy software programs. They caught a lot of stuff but not the one that was slowing me down.

Then, yesterday, at my wits end, I got this pop-up on my computer:

“… WARNING! A VIRUS (AUTO-LOADIN.TRJN) HAS BEEN INJECTED INTO YOUR COMPUTER You must call this toll free number 1 855 6054 now. The virus (AUTO-LOADING.TRJN) is new and cannot be detected by current virus software. Failure to immediately call the number provided will result in computer failure…”

If you get this on your computer, DO NOT call the number. It is a scam. I googled the virus name and got all kinds of advice about how to get rid of it.

The best advice was this... If you have downloaded and installed any software in the last little while, go to your control panel and uninstall it. USe the date column to track any other software that may have come in unnoticed in the last month or so. Apart from the two virus-killers I installed (which I have now deleted), I also found something called WAJAM that I did not download but it must have come with something else. As soon as I uninstalled that, my computer perked up like freshly watered bean sprouts. 

It is great to have it running at speed again. With all that I do on the computer every morning ... such as create these blog posts, I need the speed.


Have yourself a virus-free day! You did get your flu shot, too, right?

See ya, eh!

Bob

0 comments: