Monday, June 1, 2015

Restaurant Review: Thai Express Cornwall

Sawatdee! Ni Hao! Konichi wa! How are you doing? I bring you a medley of Asian greetings today and I’ll tell you why as soon as you fill your coffee mug and decide on a virtual muffin, doughnut or other treat. Great to see you BTW!

Yesterday, Nong and I went to try the newly opened Thai Express FF Restaurant here in Cornwall. It’s in the same complex on Brookdale as Bulk Foods, The Source and Shoppers Drug Mart. We have had good and bad experiences at various other Thai Express outlets in Ontario and Quebec. Probably the best one we have found is in Fairview Mall in Pointe Claire, Quebec just off Trans-Canada Highway 40. The reason? It is actually run by a Thai family. The noodles are also good at the Thai Express in the Oshawa Centre. In Bayview Village, Thai Express is okay, too. We also tried one in the Versailles Mall in East-end Montreal and were very disappointed.

So, we thought we would try the new one here. It was supposed to open at 11:00 Sunday and we happened to show up about 11:10. We couldn’t open the door so we figured they we’re not ready yet though we could see staff inside. No one came to help though. Why is it that most fast food restaurant uniforms seem to be black these days? Tims, McDonalds, A&W, etc. Anyway, we went across to Shoppers and came back about 15 minutes later. We could see a couple sets of people inside so we knew it was open. After struggling with the door, we finally figured it out and got the dang thing to open for us. Get that fixed pronto, guys! It is not very welcoming.

Inside is ultra stark and cold (in my opinion). There were no Thai decorations anywhere that I could see.

Thai Express is teamed up with Sushi Shop and the sushi counter runs along the left-hand side with tables for customers of either style of food along the right side by the windows. The Thai Express counter is at the back.

As we approached the back, there were three staff behind the counter talking very loudly in what I believe was Mandarin. Definitely Chinese...not Thai but we figured it would be anyway.

Nong had Pad Thai with chicken. I had Pad See Ew (another noodle dish) and ordered it with chicken as well. I got pork! The cook stood with his left hand in his pocket most of the time while he flipped the noodles in the wok with his right. (Lack of interest maybe?)

On the positive side, I have to say they give a generous portion. Their prices are not so generous. Lunch for the two of us with a shared bottle of water was $21+...so basically $10 for a plate of noodles. We have been back in Canada for 2 ½ years but I am still having trouble adapting to the prices. In Thailand you get a plate of noodles for 30-35 Baht (about $1.25). I know! I know!

Nong did well to finish hers but said she would not order it again. I couldn’t finish mine. (Well, I could have but would have regretted it later!) Too much dark sweet soy and though I liked the noodles, I found it cloying and hardly any veggies - two small pieces of bok choy stems. Nong said she wouldn’t go back (although she would like to try the sushi).

I said I’d like to try one of the curries ...but now that I’ve had the noodles, I’m not so sure. I am always in favour of supporting local Asian restaurants so we'll see.

Without question our palates are spoiled but, you know, I don’t think the staff/cooks have an appreciation of Thai food/Thai taste or understanding of Thai flavours. With names of dishes like ‘General Curry’ and ‘General Thai’ (obviously named after the Chinese dish General Tao), perhaps the restaurant would be better named Asian Express.

I asked the cook what kind of rice he was using and he said “Jasmine Rice” which is the standard, Jasmine-flavoured rice used and preferred by all Thais. So that is a positive.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I’d give it a 3. Nong gives it a 1! Can’t rate the Sushi Shop as we haven't tried their fare.

Did you notice the boxes and other garbage in the corner behind Nong in the above picture? Not very good. I know they are a fast food restaurant but I think they need to try harder. 

The trouble is, many people in Cornwall know little about Thailand and often assume its cuisine is the same as Chinese which it isn’t...although there are some Chinese dishes, that have been adapted (such as Cashew Chicken and Shiu Pao buns). It these folks ever do get to Thailand, they will find the food very different and not loaded with ketchup and passed off as, for example, Pad Thai in some places here.

If you want real Thai food, go to Thum’s Thai Restaurant at Pitt and Balmoral or to one of the farmers’ markets in Maxville, Alexandria, Vankleek Hill or Chesterville where you get Thai people making real Thai food.

See ya, eh!


Bob

0 comments: