Thursday, January 15, 2015

Meet Philly Jesus – The Former Drug Addict Who Became a “Walking Billboard for the King of Kings”

Hallelullah...it's good to see you! I'm tickled pink that you could make it today...what with your bust schedule and all. Coffee's perked and there's a tray of delectable virtual doughnuts, muffins and assorted pastries waiting for you next to the coffeepot so dig in! Today, I want to introduce you to a colourful young fellow in Philadelphia (City of brotherly love)...

Once a heroin addict, young Michael Grant managed to turn his life around and become Philly Jesus, one of Philadelphia’s most iconic characters. Since April last year, the 28-year-old has been hanging out at LOVE park, in Center City, dressed as Jesus Christ. “I’m not the real Jesus,” he admits upfront. “I’m just a huge fan. I’m doing it as a walking billboard for the King of Kings.”

Every day, Grant walks seven miles to LOVE Park, carrying with him a 12-foot wooden cross with wheels at the bottom that he made himself. “This is my way of letting my light shine, by carrying a cross in the ‘hood’,” he explained. “This is my way of sharing Jesus without preaching a blow horn and condemning people. It’s like making a statement. When they look at me, I don’t want them to see Michael, I want them to see Jesus.”

Grant, who was raised in a Catholic family, is the older of two brothers. His mother says that he was always a creative child, did theater and loved drawing. He even went to a clown school, where he learned to juggle knives and torches. “He liked people’s reactions, so he always liked reaching people that way,” she said.

Praise the Lord and pass the virtual doughnuts!

See ya, eh!

Bob

0 comments: