Thursday, January 1, 2015

30-Second Philosophies



G’day to you! Hope you’re having a “caffo’ day... learning something new while you sip your espresso, cappuccino, latte or decaf and munch merrily away on something sweet. (You can be temporarily forgiven if you were out partying till the wee hours last night!) Me? I’m always trying to learn something new and I expect that to continue in 2015. Charge your mug and nudge a virtual treat or two onto your plate as I tell you about the latest book I just finished reading.


30-Second Philosophies has a sub-title that says it contains The 50 Most Thought-provoking Philosophies, Each Explained in Half a Minute”.

Having just read it, I believe it! If you are like me and wonder about a lot of things, then you will find this an interesting read. Philosophers are known to ask the ‘Big’ questions such as “What makes things morally right or wrong?”, “Are you your brain?”, “Why is there anything at all?” “Does God exist or not?” “How high is up?” (I just snuck that last one in there)


There have been philosophers as long as people have been on the Earth and able to think and wonder about things? Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Epimenides, Descartes, Kant, Bertrand Russell, Pascal, Nietzsche, Sartre, to mention a few from the book.


I thoroughly enjoyed it and will go back to read it again, I am sure. Meanwhile it has given me more things to wonder about...small things such as “What is the purpose of the universe?” It might take me a while to get to the bottom of that one!”


If this holds any interest, you can get it at Coles (here in Cornwall Square, e.g.) or Amazon online. There is also a Kindle edition.


See ya, eh...and may 2015 bring you good health, happiness and prosperity!


Bob

0 comments: